Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Monday, November 4, 2013

New Old Things. Thundery Horizons and Pumpkin and Beetroot Bake

Hello readers, welcome to the weekend blog post. Tonight I share with you New Old Things. Thundery Horizons and Pumpkin and Beetroot Bake. Happy Reading! 
New Old Things
I want to share a sneaky peek of some more new goodies that Maddabling has been nurturing for you. These succulents are growing in groovy vintage teacups and mugs, hand selected by Maddabling! These will be available at Summer Street Fair in late November 2013. ♥
Thundery Horizons
At this time of year, sometimes the air is so heavy and thick with humidity that you feel you could cut it with a knife. It's the change in seasons, rolling towards Summer on the South Coast. Sometimes the skies exude Thundery Horizons and one can't help but try and capture this in a photograph.

The evening sky tonight was simply breathtaking and you could definitely tell there was a thunderstorm brewing. I never cease to be amazed at what Mother Nature creates for us to see.
Pumpkin and Beetroot Bake 
I spotted this recipe on the local ABC website - it is perfectly delicious. 

Chef, Ian Haines has written this recipe down and describes the dish as "a filling and very tasty vegetable dish, ideal for that non-meat night." You can find this and more fab recipes here: 
http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/2013/09/27/3857809.htm

note: The hard cheese of choice for me was a chilli and herb Romano. I love this recipe as it puts the beetroot and kale in our garden to very good use! 


Ingredients 
Knob of butter and olive oil to saute 
500g pumpkin flesh, diced 
500g beetroot, diced 
1 leek, washed and cut into large rounds 
1 tablespoon of honey 
Shredded kale, silver beet or chard (at least 100gm) 
Topping 
Stale bread croutons 
Grated cheese - a hard and tasty cheese like Parmesan or Grana Padano
Black pepper 

Method 
Pre-heat oven to 200c (180c fan oven).

Melt some butter and add some olive oil to a large fry pan and heat to a moderate heat. Toss in the diced pumpkin and beetroot and saute for around 10 minutes. Stirring from time to time and making sure not burning. 

Once the vegetables are softening down add the leek and honey, stir well and leave for 3 or 4 minutes before adding the shredded kale. Stir through well and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. 

It should now be ready for the oven. With a slotted spoon transfer the vegetable to an oven proof dish. Put to one side for a moment while you re-heat the pan and remnant oil and quick stir through the bread croutons and cheese with a good grind of black pepper to soak up all the juices. 

Sprinkle these on top of the vegetables in the dish. Crisp up the topping by placing the whole dish in the oven for no more than 10 minutes and it will be ready. 
Tips:
Goes well served on a simple green salad. 
The first stage can be done by oven roasting the vegetables. 
The vegetables have sufficient flavour that is brought out by the cooking but herbs and chilli can be added. Cooked chickpeas and /or beans can also be added before placing in the oven.

Readers, I thank you for stopping by, as without your comments and support, I would not have the inspiration to write these posts. I hope you enjoyed New Old Things. Thundery Horizons and Pumpkin and Beetroot Bake. See you on Wednesday for a new edition of Wednesday Wishes x

No comments:

Post a Comment