Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Wise Words, Maritime Heritage and Orange Poppyseed Loaf

Hello there Maddabling readers, did you have a wonderful weekend? I certainly did, and the wintery rain today didn't dampen my spirits too much. 

This Sunday Blog post is all about Wise Words, Maritime Heritage and Orange Poppyseed Loaf. Enjoy x
Wise Words
I don't often share inspirational quotes and the like on the Maddabling blog, but these Words of Wisdom from Simmone Star really did catch my attention. It reminded me that really, I am fortunate, and life is good, we really do have a level of control in our own destiny. By the way, Simmone Star makes really lovely things - you should visit her facebook page here: 
Maritime Heritage
Making the most of the winter sunshine again this weekend, we embarked on a 5km walk trail called Point Possession Heritage Trail. The walk starts at the Whalers Cove (Fisheries Beach) car park. We saw a myriad of orchids and wild flowers and stunning views along the way to our Possession Point destination. 
Whalers Cove (Fisheries Beach)
        Donkey Orchid                               Verticordia Plumosa
                                            Redhoods                                       Hakea Laurina
At the end of a short and relatively easy to walk path, you get to see the Isthmus. "The Isthmus or Tombolo that connects Point Possession to the Vancouver Peninsula was formed by wave action depositing sand between the island and the headland." To the right you can see the Outer Brambles and Barker Bay, to the left you can see the Inner Brambles and Shoal Bay. 
The walk along Outer Brambles is wonderful; 700 metres of firm yet powdery snow white sand and crystal blue waters. 
I also spotted this broken starfish that had been washed up and was quite taken by the intricate markings and textures of this small creature. 
A short yet somewhat challenging walk later, we arrived at our destination.
At Point Possession, the commemorative plaque on Vancouver's Cairn explains that "Captain George Vancouver, Royal Navy, claimed the South West Part of Australia for Britain on the 29th September, 1791." 
The walk back was just as beautiful with this reverse view of the Inner and Outer Brambles, Shoal Bay and Barker Bay. 
Once we arrived back at the parking area, we drove down to Mistaken Island and finished the afternoon with a picnic. We had this very picturesque panoramic view from the rocks we perched on including Mistaken Island, Breaksea Island and Michaelmas Island. It's a really fantastic walk trail, I highly recommend it if you are living in or visiting the area. 
Orange Poppyseed Loaf
This is one of those dreamy recipes, a moist Orange Poppyseed Loaf. It is so easy to make, in fact, all the mixing is done in your food processor! And there are only 6 ingredients. For me, this recipe made 5 small cupcakes and one regular sized Orange Poppyseed Loaf. 
Ingredients: 
1 large orange, zested and pith/seeds removed, roughly chopped
185g of melted butter or vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
2 tablespoons of poppyseeds

Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
2. Grease and line an 18cm cake pan or a loaf tin. 
3. Puree whole orange and half the zest in food processor.
4. Add melted butter or oil, eggs and sugar, mix well.
5. Add the flour and mix until well combined. 
6. Using a spatula, stir through the reserved zest and poppyseeds until well combined. 
7. Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested. 
8. Remove tin from oven and rest for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack. Enjoy! 

recipe adapted from: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/moist-orange-poppyseed-cake-L10542.html

Notes: 
*For those with a sweeter tooth, an orange buttercream icing would be delicious with this cake, add in some finely chopped orange zest for that special touch. 
*Instead of melted butter, I used the 1 cup of Rice Bran Oil in this recipe. 
*If you prefer, you can add all of the zest and poppyseeds to the food processor, but I prefer to add them in afterwards. 

Well readers, that concludes Wise Words, Maritime Heritage and Orange Poppyseed Loaf. I sometimes wonder, how many people read these posts, be a dear and leave me a message to let me know that you stopped by. See you all on Wednesday for the next Wednesday Wishes wishlist blog post xx

No comments:

Post a Comment